The items posted on this page are provided as a service to our club members who may be interested in such information and/or services. The Morgan Hill Photography Club does not control or guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of information on a linked website. The dissemination of this information does not constitute an official endorsement, legal advice, or approval by the Morgan Hill Photography Club or its Board of Directors of any organization, product, or service.
Just as no man is an island, photographers need a community where they can openly exchange advice or ideas. By joining a organization dedicated to photographers, you can meet others who love photography and live by it, while reaping the benefits these memberships provide in the form of discounts, education, and advocacy. Links to the websites of some of these organizations are listed below:
- American Photography Association
- American Society of Media Photographers
- North American Nature Photography Association
- Photographic Society of America
- The Royal Photographic Society, USA Pacific Chapter
- Society for Photographic Education
Photography and the Law:
Club members consistently ask us questions like: When is okay to take a picture of someone or place; When do I need a model or property release; How do I protect my intellectual property (i.e. my images); Is my homeowner’s insurance enough to cover my photography activities and equipment; What happens to my image when I enter it in a photo contest; and, How do I license my images for others to use? A great source to find answers to these questions, and other questions about your photography, is the American Society of Media Photographers (ASMP). Another is PhotoShelter, a photography website host. Links to the relevant sections of their websites are listed below:
- Property and Model Releases – American Society of Media Photographers
- The Photographer’s Guide to Copyright – PhotoShelter
- The Photographer’s Guide to Facebook – PhotoShelter
- The Photographer’s Guide to Photo Contests – PhotoShelter
- What Photographer’s Should Know About Insurance – PhotoShelter
In addition to the workshops and shootouts the club sponsors, members occasionally like to attend those given by professional photographers. Below is a list of several professional photographers who have talked at our meetings and/or have been recommended by other club members who have participated in their workshops, training, and seminars.
- Aperture Academy – Stephen Oachs et al. (Search “Aperture Academy” on groupon for discounts)
- California Photography Workshops – Keith Skelton Photography
- Don Smith Photography
- Eloquent Images – Gary Hart Photography
- Incredible Travel Photos – Oliver Klink et al.
- Jennifer Wu Photography
There is a plethora of online instructional videos, tutorials, and classes – too many to mention them all here. Some of the ones recommend by club members are listed below.
- Joshua Cripps Photography – has a YouTube channel of free Professional Photography Tips
- Serge Ramelii – free Lightroom and Photoshop tutorials available as podcasts and on his YouTube channel
- Lynda.com Training – variety of online instructional tutorials, search for discount coupons and free trials
- CreativeLive – view live classes for free, there is a fee for watching past episodes
- Ask Tim Grey eNewsletter – signup for the Tim Grey eNewsletter of Lightroom and Photoshop tips